Contacts for Press
If you are a journalist seeking information about Latvia, preparing a story or planning to visit personally, the Latvian Institute is here to assist you with contacts, interviews, itinerary and background information. If necessary, we will help you connect with our partners in other institutions / organisations to meet your needs.
In any case, we are here to help you with accurate information on destinations, printed and digital information materials about Latvia, places to see and people to meet, and events to attend. In special circumstances, we can assist you with travel bookings and costs, decided case by case.
Please send us brief information about yourself and the topics you are interested to cover. We will get back to you as soon as possible, or will connect you with the right people to talk to.
To apply for media trips, please fill in the online application form.*
*The data you enter will be used for the evaluation of your application and for further arrangements if your application is confirmed. The data will be added to our media data base and might be provided to third persons (travel agencies, accommodation providers, caterers and similar) to secure your visit in Latvia.
Ph.: +371 67503667
What is Latvian Institute?
Latvian Institute promotes Latvia’s positive international recognition.
The Latvian Institute (LI) was established in September 29, 1998 by the government of Latvia. Since March 2012, the Institute is an institution of direct administration under the control of the minister of foreign affairs.
The Institute carries out the following functions:
- participates in the creation of politics of Latvia’s identity and coordinates the implementation of it;
- creates network of partners (governmental and non-governmental institutions, private partners, experts and others) that cooperate with the Institute in Latvia promoting activities;
- organizes Latvia promoting activities abroad and in Latvia.
The Institute also performs the following activities:
- prepares and spreads general information about Latvia and also detailed information about themes concerning the state, land and nation. It also prepares and spreads informative materials about Latvia, creates and supports Latvia’s official informative portal for foreign auditorium, offers information and consultations about issues in the competence of the Institute.
- within lines of its competence carries out national and international projects;
- within lines of its competence co-operates with governmental institutions, local authorities, non-governmental organisations, private persons.
- achieves other activities that are defined in other legislation acts.
First director of the Institute was Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga (19.10.1998.-08.07.1999.). From 1999 until December, 2010 the director of the Institute was Ojārs Ēriks Kalniņš. And from January, 2011 until October 2015, the Institute was led by Karina Pētersone.
In 2012, the Institute received an award “For performing principle of good governance, through carrying out effective partnerships”.
Can the LI provide photographs of Latvia for publication?
The Latvian Institute offers Photo Gallery Latvia. Photo Gallery Latvia is a high-resolution image service featuring images of Latvia. The images may be used free of charge only for the purpose of promoting Latvia to foreign media. Questions regarding specific cases or additional information can be sent to: email@example.com. Latvian Institute Photo Gallery can be found here: http://www.latvia.lv/gallery .
Where can I find geneological information on my relatives / family tree in Latvia?
Genealogical inquiries (family histories, family trees) are prepared mainly in the Latvia State Historical Archives. The Archives contain the most ancient and chronologically wide-ranging documentary records for genealogical research covering the period from the 13th century until 1945. If you are interested in finding relatives in Latvia or any information about them, please, contact the State Archives in Latvia.
Where can I learn the Latvian Language?
The University of Latvia provides some courses in English, as well as academic courses in the Latvian Language for foreigners.
Vidzeme University College (in Valmiera) organises Baltic International Summer School.
The Latvian Language Agency has developed a wide variety of high quality learning materials, including audio cassettes, videos and printed materials.
Do I need a visa to enter Latvia?
Please, look at the web site of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Latvia.